The Beatles are coming!
That seems to be a rallying cry that never ages.
But yes, the band will receive its own home – The Beatles Channel – on SiriusXM satellite radio beginning at 9:09 a.m. on May 18.
The specialty programming, which can be found on channel 18 as well as online and through the Sirius XM app, will highlight all-things-Beatles, as well as the careers of John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr.
The channel will offer material from The Beatles’ entire career including their hits and deeper tracks, live recordings, rarities, and solo albums, and also spotlight musicians who have inspired, and been inspired by, The Beatles.
Said McCartney (who will head to Atlanta this summer) in a statement, “I still remember the thrill of when we first heard our music on the radio, but I don’t think any of us would have imagined that we’d have our very own Beatles radio channel more than 50 years later. The SiriusXM channel will have it all, 8 Days a Week.”
The Beatles Channel will be part of SiriusXM’s free listening preview program, which will offer 24/7 listening on inactive SiriusXM radios from May 17 to May 30.
On June 1, the 50th anniversary of the band’s landmark “Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band” album, the new Anniversary Edition stereo mix of the recording will be played in its entirety on the channel. Several configurations of the remixed album will be available on May 26.
Some of the specialty programming on The Beatles Channel includes:
- Breakfast with The Beatles: A daily morning show hosted by musician and lifelong Beatles aficionado, Chris Carter, featuring music, stories and all things Beatles.
- A Day in the Life: A daily feature noting milestones in the lives and career of The Beatles.
- My Fab Four: A daily guest DJ session, hosted by musicians influenced by The Beatles, celebrities, and super fan listeners, each playing their four favorite Beatles songs.
- Beatle Bites: A daily “name the song” quiz featuring a short snippet of a Beatles recording.
- Dedicated Phone: # 844-999-BEATLES, for fans to make requests and share their Beatles stories.
- The Fab Fourum: A live weekly call-in roundtable show hosted by veteran broadcaster Dennis Elsas; TV producer and author, Bill Flanagan; and panelists including authors, musicians and fans.
- Peter Asher: From Me To You: He sang Beatles compositions as a member of Peter & Gordon, was part of the formation of Apple Records and went on to become a multiple Grammy-winning producer and much more. Now, his stories come to life in this exclusive weekly series.
- Magical Mini Concert: A weekly fantasy concert featuring live music from The Beatles and their solo works.
- Northern Songs with Bill Flanagan: A regular show from TV producer and author Flanagan, focusing on themes that tell the story of The Beatles, their music and the effect it had on generations of fans.
- Get Back: The Beatles in Britain: A monthly show recorded in and around London and Liverpool that offers the UK perspective of the Beatles phenomenon, hosted by Geoff Lloyd.
Follow the AJC Music Scene on Facebook and Twitter.