Prince died of an opioid overdose

View Caption Hide Caption
Prince in 2005. Photo: Getty Images.
Prince reportedly died of an opioid overdose. Photo: Getty Images.

Prince reportedly died of an opioid overdose. Photo: Getty Images.

Prince died from an accidental overdose of self-administered fentanyl, a type of synthetic opioid, according to a report from the Midwest Medical Examiner’s Office.

The findings, released on Thursday, end the speculation about how the music icon died on April 21.

The report lists the 5-foot-3-inch singer’s weight at 112 pounds and notes that he was wearing black clothing and a black cap the morning of his death.

Since last month, the Carver County Sheriff’s Office and the federal Drug Enforcement Administration have been investigating how Prince obtained the painkillers, which were found on him when he died.

“The M.E. report is one piece of the whole thing “ Jason Kamerud, the county’s chief deputy sheriff, told The New York Times.

Prince died a week after playing his final concerts in Atlanta. He was treated by a Minnesota doctor on April 7, the day of his originally scheduled concert at the Fox Theatre, which was canceled hours before showtime. Ticketholders were told Prince had the flu.

 

RELATED CONTENT: Concert review: Prince enchants at Fox Theatre show

Atlanta concert community reacts to Prince’s death

Melissa Ruggieri’s Top 10 Prince songs. What are yours?

Photos: Atlanta glows purple for Prince

Watch Bruce Springsteen, Janelle Monae pay tribute to Prince

Prince record sales skyrocket after his death

Madonna pays tribute to Prince at Billboard Music Awards


View Comments 6